We’ve been on lots of road trips since we’ve been married, some short and some long. Our longest was from Iowa to Boston.
Today we just made a simple trip to Iowa City for the Hawkeyes basketball game, but it was great.
I have a playlist on my iPod just for road trips. It has every song that we can belt out and agree on. The playlist has a wide variety of genres excluding metal (because it’s the worst) and country (because my poor husband is uncultured 😉 ).
Sometimes we just jam; that’s what we did today. I’ve been trying for years to catch my husband dancing and singing on video, and today, I succeeded! He still doesn’t know 🙂 I would share it here, but he would probably kill me, so I’ll just revel in my small victory all by myself.
Every once in a while a road trip requires a little more than a simple jam session; sometimes it just needs a little competition, so, for you who are looking for a new car game to play, here’s a game we made up:
The App SoundHound identifies songs by listening to them. Download it if you want to play! The game rules are as follows:
- One person picks a musical genre for the round
- Each person then picks a song they will sing based on the genre
- Take turns singing to the app to see if it can correctly guess the song. Keep score accordingly.
- A new person picks the genre for the next round.
- 0 points if the app can’t guess your song
- 1 point if it guesses a different song, but includes your song as a possibility in the list below the initial guess
- 2 points if it guesses your song but also includes other possibilities below it (because that means it wasn’t totally sure)
- 3 points if it guesses your song and only your song (no other songs listed below)
We haven’t played our game for a while because we can get through most short trips without competition, but when we need a little life injected into the trip, we play.
I’m so glad I have a husband who doesn’t mind being silly with me. He brings me so much joy 🙂